Textiles provides our students the opportunity to understand how fibres, yarns and fabrics can be used in a variety of contexts and, through theory and practice, are taught production techniques and the practical skills to design, make and modify products for an identified purpose.
In Years 7, 8 and 9, students are taught the difference between natural and synthetic fibres, how each fibre is used, how fabrics are constructed and how its final appearance, properties and end-use will affect the decision. Students will also learn essential processes in production of the finished product such as washing, bleaching and dying and how garments are assembled by sewing, fusing and heat-sealing.
Equipped with the knowledge accumulated through the previous three years, GCSE Textile Products enables students to use their skills to demonstrate the design and manufacturing process involved in making a quality textiles product. Options allow students to construct a sportswear or fashion item, a wall hanging or soft furnishing product, or a soft product designed for a child. This project will gain 60% of the marks, while the remaining 40% will be assessed in an examination.