Skip to content ↓

The Henry

Absence & Attendance

Amendments have been made to the 2006 regulations in the Education (Pupil Registration) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2013

The DFE have made it clear to Headteachers that they may not grant any leave of absence during term time unless there are exceptional circumstances.

These exception circumstances are defined as:
a) for service personnel and other employees who are prevented from taking holidays outside term-time if the holiday will have minimal disruption to the pupil’s education; and
b) when a family needs to spend time together to support each other during or after a crisis.

In making a request for an authorised absence from school you will need to explain why the circumstances are exceptional. Please note there is no general right to authorise absence for a family holiday and if you take your child out of school without permission the absence will be unauthorised and we may refer the matter for consideration of legal action. If you wish to apply for an authorised absence please complete the form below.


If your son/daughter is absent from school:

If your son/daughter is absent from school due to suspected Covid please complete this form to notify us of their absence.  This will ensure your child’s absence is recorded correctly and we can arrange for them to join online lessons.  Please note, we will require the NHS results email confirming a positive test to be forwarded to


If your son/daughter is absent from school for non-covid related illness

Please email by 9.00am each day your son/daughter is absent.

A brief message is all that is required with the name of student, reason for absence and anticipated length of absence.

If we have not heard from you and your child does not attend morning registration a text message will be sent to you via School Gateway.


If you do not have access to email, please telephone 01962 880073 (press 1 for Student Support) by 9.00am each day your son/daughter is absent.

What do I do when my son/daughter returns to school after an absence?
Please provide a signed absence note which should be given to the tutor on the first day your son/daughter returns to school after an absence.
Who should I write to if I need to take my son/daughter out of school for medical reasons?
Please send in a note to your son/daughter’s tutor requesting absence for medical/dental appointments.


May we ask that parents do not call or send text messages to their children during the school day.  

If an urgent message needs to be passed to your child please call Mrs Clarke in Student Support.